This Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde Stew can go from freezer to slow cooker making it the ultimate meal prep recipe.
A supper with superpowers.
And by superpowers, I mean that this Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde Stew:
- Is hearty, healthy, and delicious
- Is made with less than 10 ingredients
- Is a true ‘set it and forget it’ meal
- Tastes even better the next day (and the next)
- Can go from the freezer to slow cooker for ultimate meal prep convenience
You read that right, it can go from the FREEZER to the SLOW COOKER without skipping a beat (read: you forgot to take it out of the freezer last night to thaw). Of course, you can skip the freezing step and just toss everything into your slow cooker then walk away until it’s time to eat.
Now, that’s a meal we can really get behind!
Simple, cozy, comfort food that’s ready when you are.
By prepping all of the ingredients and freezing them in a plastic zip-top bag (or another freezer-safe container of your choice), you have a meal waiting in the wings for those days when you don’t have time to cook or don’t feel like cooking. Or you can gift the meal to a friend in need or a new mama who could use a night off from cooking.
In case you’re wondering if it’s safe to put frozen food in the slow cooker, I’ll be upfront and say that there are a few opinions out there. I, however, haven’t had any issues with doing so and thus feel comfortable with freezer-to-slow cooker recipes that are prepared in a slow cooker using the high-heat setting as long as they are allowed to reach at least 165℉ for at least 15 minutes before serving. Which, for this recipe, will definitely happen.
Of course, if you’re not comfortable with that method, just know that with less than 15 minutes of prep time, this Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde Stew comes together really quickly, so you can get on with your day and still come home to a glorious, ready-t0-devour hot meal at the end of the day.
It’s what’s inside that counts.
I have yet to meet a bowl of chile verde that had me thinking, ‘Well, that’s pretty,’ because truth be told, chile verde isn’t much to look at.
It’s pale green with somewhat indistinguishable ingredients thanks to that long, low simmer that turns a handful of simple ingredients into something utterly magnificent. But don’t let that stop you from digging into a big bowl of this Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde Stew. What it lacks in outward appearance, it more than makes up for in flavor.
The toppings are key.
Don’t be shy with those toppings. I have yet to meet a slow cooker meal that didn’t benefit from a judicious application of fresh and tasty toppings. For this Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde Stew I highly suggest the following:
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced or diced avocado
- Fresh lime wedges
- Sliced jalapeños (for those who like a little more spice)
- Sour cream, shredded cheese, and/or warm corn tortillas for dipping if you don’t need it to be dairy-free or Whole30-friendly
Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde Stew with Potatoes
A thick and hearty stew – with just a little spice – that’s perfect for meal preps or for stockpiling in the freezer.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs*, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts*, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (16-ounce) jar salsa verde (such as Trader Joe’s or Herdez)
- 2 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1½ lb. red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups organic chicken broth (NOTE: If making this a Freezer-to-Slow Cooker meal, wait to add the broth until it’s time to cook – i.e., don’t freeze the broth in the bag.)
Suggestions for serving: Fresh cilantro, lime wedges and/or diced avocado. Shredded cheese, sour cream, and/or warm corn tortillas are also great if you don’t need it to be Whole30-friendly.
*We like to use a of mix chicken breast and thighs but you may also use 2 lbs. of chicken breast only OR thighs only.
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 8 hours) or until potatoes are very tender and the stew is thick. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive so we can continue providing free recipes and high-quality content for you.
To make this a freezer-to-slow cooker meal:
- Combine all ingredients except chicken broth in a large zip-top bag (or another freezer-safe container). Label the bag and lay it flat in your freezer.
- On the day of cooking, place the contents of the bag into the slow cooker with 1½ cups chicken broth. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or until potatoes are very tender and the stew is thick. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving Size: 1 ¼ cups
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 700mg
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- (Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 2g)
- Protein: 26g
Pin it now & make it later!
Photo Credit: The photos in this blog post were taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
Leave a Comment