If you love the convenience of a pre-bagged salad mix then you’re going to love this Creamy Broccoli Slaw with Kale. It’s studded with crunchy pumpkin seeds and tart dried cranberries and can be made in just one bowl. You only need 3 ingredients for the dressing (not including salt and pepper) and it’s ready in under 10 minutes.
We’ve updated this post with new photos and a quicker preparation method that lets you make this slaw with just one bowl but it’s every bit as delicious as the original.
A creamy, crunchy slaw that goes with just about everything
Bagged salad mixes are a great way to save time and get more veggies on your plate, don’t get me wrong, but they can be pretty expensive when you figure the cost per serving and sometimes the dressings have longer ingredient lists than you might care for which is why we’ve reverse-engineered a popular broccoli-kale salad kit often found in large discount warehouses. This one has a significantly shorter ingredient list, can be made Whole30-friendly, includes an option for making it vegan, and can be prepped ahead up to 3 days in advance or whipped up on the spot in under 10 minutes.
This post contains affiliate links that won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Ingredients for Creamy Broccoli Slaw
- Broccoli slaw – Look for bagged broccoli slaw in the produce aisle. You can also substitute shredded cabbage or bagged coleslaw mix if you can’t find broccoli slaw
- Kale – Adds extra color, crunch, and phytonutrients and the curly leaves hold onto the creamy dressing
- Pumpkin seeds – Also known as ‘pepitas’, preferably roasted and salted. If you only have raw pumpkin seeds, toast them in a dry skillet on the stove over medium-high heat until lightly browned and fragrant
- Dried cranberries – Most brands are sweetened with cane sugar so if you want to make this Whole30-friendly, look for a brand such as this one that’s sweetened with fruit juice or these that have no added sugars
- Mayo – For a Whole30-compliant option (or for those avoiding sugar or long ingredient lists), we recommend this mayo made with avocado oil. For a vegan option, use your favorite vegan mayo (this one is my go-to). Plain Greek yogurt may be substituted for a lower-fat option.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper
For 10% off of all Primal Kitchen products use code: REALFOODRDS
Shop Thrive Market to get the best prices on natural, organic, and specialty foods. PLUS get a free gift when you sign-up!
How to Make Creamy Broccoli Slaw
Step 1: Add the mayo, vinegar, and garlic powder to a medium-sized bowl. Whisk to combine then taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
Step 2: Add broccoli slaw, kale (chopped or torn by hand into bite-sized pieces), pumpkin seeds, and cranberries to the bowl.
Step 3: Toss well to coat.
What can I substitute for the bagged broccoli slaw?
Shredded cabbage or bagged coleslaw mix are a great substitute for the broccoli slaw if you’re not able to find it in the produce aisle of your local grocery store.
Can I make Creamy Broccoli Slaw ahead of time?
You sure can! This slaw can be made up to 3 days in advance so it’s great for meal preps. If you want the pumpkin seeds to stay crunchy, reserve those to be added just before serving.
You can also make the dressing and store that separately (in a jar with a tight-fitting pour-spout lid works great for this) from the broccoli slaw and kale so all you have to do is add the dressing, pumpkin seeds, and dried cranberries when it’s time to serve.
What should I serve Creamy Broccoli Salad with?
Oh, the possibilities are endless! We really like to serve this alongside grilled or roasted pork or with burgers. But you can easily top it with grilled chicken, fish, or shrimp for an easy light dinner or hearty lunch.
One of our favorite ways to enjoy this is with our Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs or piled on top of some Slow Cooker BBQ Beef or Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken – whether it’s stuffed into a sweet potato or served on a bun – they’re all great!
Looking for guidance with meal planning? Check out Real Plans, a highly customizable online meal planning service that includes over 300 of our very own recipes.
Other easy salad and slaw recipes you might like:
- Sweet & Smoky Brussels Slaw
- 5-Ingredient Creamy Ranch Broccoli Slaw
- Creamy Mayo-Free Broccoli Salad
- Loaded Cauliflower Soup
- 6 ounces (½ bag) broccoli slaw
- 1 ½ cups chopped kale
- ¼ cup roasted and salted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons mayo*
- 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add the mayo, vinegar, and garlic powder to a medium-sized bowl. Whisk to combine then taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add broccoli slaw, kale (stems removed and leaves chopped or torn by hand into bite-sized pieces), pumpkin seeds, and cranberries to the bowl.
- Toss well to coat.
- Serve immediately or store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive so we can continue providing free recipes and high-quality content for you.
*For a vegan option – Use your favorite vegan mayo
For a lower-fat option, replace mayo with plain Greek yogurt (contains dairy)
- Serving Size: About 1 cup
- Calories: 132
- Fat: 8g
- (Sat Fat: 1)
- Sodium: 65mg
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- (Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 6g)
- Protein: 5g
Pin it now & Make it later!
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!