Healthy comfort food at its finest! Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken stuffed into a baked sweet potato and topped with a simple slaw is Whole30-friendly and totally delicious.
This recipe is sponsored by our friends at Tessemae’s!
You can always count on us for easy, real food meals.
We’re all about ease and convenience here in Real Food RD land as well as comfort food, and this Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken with Simple Slaw fits the bill for both. This entire meal comes together fast and it’s made with less than 10 ingredients. AND my, is it ever delicious!
No Instant Pot, no problem! A slow cooker will get the job done, too. Just in a much “slower,” but equally delicious way.
Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken with Simple Slaw is made with less than 10 ingredients.
Long ingredients lists aren’t my thing. I really do my best to keep the recipes I share here on the blog to less than 10 ingredients. Ya know…I think I just set a new goal for myself! 90% of the recipes I share on the blog will be less than 10 ingredients starting today from here on out. Do you like?
But really, this recipe is very simple and a cinch to make. It’s one of those recipes where one would think you spent hours and hours in the kitchen making. Well, you’ll fool them. Below I show you the steps of how easy it is to make Instant BBQ Pulled Chicken.
Tender pulled chicken is coated with a flavorful, no-sugar BBQ sauce, stuffed into a perfectly baked sweet potato and then topped with a simple slaw.
This recipe is made Whole30-friendly thanks to Tessemae’s Whole30 Approved Matty’s BBQ Sauce. It’s an Organic BBQ with no sugar added and has a nice zingy flavor. It’s exactly why I like to serve the BBQ Pulled Chicken stuffed inside of a sweet potato because two flavors (zingy and sweet) complement each other ever so nicely. By all means though, serve it up the way that sounds most tasty to you. In the recipe below I share additional ideas for serving Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken.
Simple slaw comes together with just 4 ingredients.
Simple slaw is a recipe I make often and it pairs perfectly with this Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken. There’s just something so delicious about slaw and BBQ. I’m not even sure how that combo evolved. My go-to slaw is made with just 4 ingredients and it’s super easy to change up based on what you have on hand or what sounds good to you. All you need is broccoli slaw or shredded cabbage, nuts and/seeds, green onion (or red onion) and your favorite creamy dressing. I also like to add dried fruit such as cranberries, chopped dates, chopped apricots or raisins for a little sweetness and added texture.
For the dressing…
Simple slaw can be made with whatever creamy dressing you have on hand. I do recommend that it’s organic and made with clean, real food ingredients. I’m a ranch girl so I tend to reach for Tessemae’s Ranch when making simple slaw…or let’s be honest, at pretty much every meal. However, Caesar would also be a fabulous option or the newest addition to the Tessemae’s family, Everything Bagel Ranch…yes, please!
Interested in giving Tessemae’s a try? You can place an order of a 4-pack or 6-pack here. Unsure of what to order? Here are some of my faves: Creamy Ranch, Balsamic Vinaigrette, Lemon Garlic, Creamy Caesar, Buffalo Sauce, BBQ Sauce and I’m eager to try Everything Bagel Ranch!
Let’s dig in, shall we!?
Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken with Simple Slaw
Healthy comfort food at its finest! Whole30-friendly Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken is stuffed into a baked sweet potato topped with a simple slaw. An entire meal made with less than 10 ingredients.
For the Instant Pot Chicken:
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast and/or thighs
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup broth or water (such as homemade bone broth)
- 1 cup Tessemae’s BBQ sauce, divided
For the Slaw:
- 1 bag of broccoli slaw
- 1/2 cup seeds, toasted (sunflower or pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup Tessemae’s Ranch or Caesar Dressing (add more to your liking)
- 4 green onions, ends trimmed & sliced (white part and midway up the green part)
- Optional: 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins (for Whole30-compliant we recommend Made In Nature)
For serving (optional):
- 4–8 small to medium sweet potatoes, baked (see recipe here)
- Additional BBQ sauce and dressing
- Fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- If serving with sweet potatoes, prep them and get them in the oven as they will take the longest. Recipe here.
- Next place the chicken, yellow onion, broth and 1/2 of the BBQ sauce in the Instant Pot.
- Place lid on the Instant Pot, lock it in place and seal it.
- Set the Instant Pot on the poultry setting for 13 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the Instant Pot, make the slaw by combining all of the slaw ingredients in a medium bowl and tossing until well combined. Place in fridge until ready to serve.
- Once the 13 minutes is up on the Instant Pot, press cancel and let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes. Then switch to venting to finish releasing the pressure. Remove the lid. Transfer the chicken to a platter and with two forks or a tong, pull the chicken breast/thighs apart.
- Transfer the chicken back to the Instant Pot. If there is a lot of liquid, remove about half of it.
- Add the remaining BBQ to the Instant Pot and toss until chicken is well coated. Add as much BBQ sauce as you’d like.
- To serve: Slice a baked sweet potato in half, stuff it with chicken and top it with the simple slaw. Drizzle with additional BBQ sauce or dressing and garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley if you wish.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive so we can continue providing free recipes and high-quality content for you.
Additional serving suggestions: Serve the BBQ Pulled Chicken tucked into a baked potato, lettuce leaf, over cauli-rice or over sautéed greens. If not on a Whole30, a bun or wrap is also an option!
Slow cooker instructions: Follow instructions as is and place chicken in a slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of chicken and slaw (not including sweet potato)
- Calories: 315
- Fat: 15 g
- Sodium: 460 mg
- Carbohydrate: 15 g
- (Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 8 g)
- Protein: 29 g
Pin now, make later!
This post was made possible by our friends at Tessemae’s. Though we received compensation for this post, the opinions expressed here are – as always -100% our own. Thank you for supporting the great companies we work with thereby allowing us to continue creating great recipes and content for you.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
Leave a Comment