This fresh Chicken Waldorf Salad is healthy and perfect for easy meals all week. It comes together in less than 10 minutes with omega-3 rich walnuts, sweet grapes, fresh basil, red onion, celery, and tender chicken chunks all held together with a creamy, avocado oil mayo dressing.
This recipe was originally published October 2, 2017; Updated June 18, 2021.
This Chicken Waldorf Salad is the perfect make-ahead lunch!
While there are many times we’d rather skip meal prepping (and sometimes we do because … #life) we know that having ready-to-eat, nutritious meals will set us up for a healthy week ahead. We personally have found that when we don’t meal prep we tend to graze, skip meals, and lack on veggies. In turn, those eating behaviors negatively impact our energy and how we feel overall. This easy Chicken Waldorf Salad (our favorite chicken salad with grapes) is at the top of our list for easy meals you can make ahead, and you’ll be so thankful you did!
Ingredients to make Chicken Waldorf Salad (chicken salad with grapes)
It takes just 8 ingredients to make this delicious Whole30 Chicken Salad. Chock full of quality protein and healthy fats, this Waldorf chicken salad recipe will help you stay satisfied for hours and keep your blood sugars stable. Stable blood sugars = more energy & better metabolism.
- Cooked and cubed organic chicken – or use rotisserie chicken; get our recipe for perfectly cooked chicken breast here
- Grapes – can sub cubed apple, or dried cranberries or raisins
- Red onion
- Walnuts – or use almonds, pecans, or cashews
- Fresh basil – can also use dried basil, or sub in fresh rosemary or fresh thyme
- Avocado-oil mayonnaise – we like the Primal Kitchen avocado-oil mayo and you can get 10% off Primal Kitchen products with code: REALFOODRDS
- Fresh lemon juice
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”TcLAxFoy” upload-date=”2020-03-13T18:26:27.000Z” name=”Waldorf Chicken Salad” description=”Healthy eating is made easy & delicious with this Waldorf Chicken Salad!” player-type=”default” override-embed=”default”]
How to make Chicken Waldorf Salad
This is one recipe that needs nothing more than a cutting board, a bowl, and a spoon. It’s really that easy, and it all comes together in just 10 minutes. We’d say that’s time well spent to have healthy lunches on hand for the week!
In a large bowl, combine cooked and cubed chicken, halved grapes, diced celery, diced red onion, chopped walnuts, fresh basil, mayonnaise, a squeeze of lemon, salt, and pepper. Mix it all up, and you’ve got one delicious chicken salad with grapes to enjoy now or later.
The best way to chop and shred chicken
This recipe calls for pre-cooked chicken. If you have leftover chicken (cooked, baked, or grilled!), this Chicken Waldorf Salad is a great use for it! If not, you can easily cook chicken with our easy, fool-proof method for how to make perfectly cooked chicken breast every time.
When the chicken is cooked and then cooled, simply transfer it to a cutting board and chop it into small pieces. Or, use two forks to gently pull the chicken apart into shreds. You can use either chopped or shredded chicken in this recipe. And if you want to make it even faster, you can use a rotisserie chicken, too.
How to serve and store this Chicken Waldorf Salad
You’ll love how fast and easy this delicious Chicken Waldorf Salad recipe comes together. Serve on a bed of greens, in your favorite wrap or sandwich bread, or with a handful of crackers or cucumber slices for a nutritious appetizer or snack.
Store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Other delicious and healthy chicken salad recipes to try:
- Curry Chicken Salad
- Blueberry Rosemary Chicken Salad
- Strawberry Chicken Salad
- Creamy BBQ Chicken Salad
- Chinese-Inspired Chicken Salad
- Cranberry Chicken Salad with Apples
- 2 cups cooked and cubed chicken
- 1/2 cup halved grapes
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- 1/3 cup avocado-oil mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients until well combined.
- Serve over a bed of greens, as a sandwich, or with crackers.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive so we can continue providing free recipes and high-quality content for you.
- No walnuts? —> try almonds, pecans or cashews
- No grapes? —> try cubed apple, dried cranberries or raisins
- No fresh basil? —> use dried basil or try fresh rosemary or thyme
Check out our quick instructions for how to make perfectly cooked chicken breasts every time here.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 300
- Fat: 22g
- Sodium: 225mg
- Carbohydrate: 4g
- (Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 2g)
- Protein: 24g
Pin now to make later!
Photo Credit: The photos in this blog post were taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!