Rich, flavorful and a recipe that will satisfy your tastebuds with every bite. Indian Butter Chicken is a must try!
This post was created in partnership with our friends at Kalona SuperNatural™.
A one-skillet recipe.
Indian Butter Chicken, also known as murgh makhani, is a traditional comfort food dish from India that’s made of chicken and a mildly spiced curry sauce made of cream, yogurt, tomato paste and spices. If you’re a longtime reader of The Real Food RDs, there is a good chance that you know just how much I love the flavor of curry! This recipe, might just be one of my new favorites and was inspired by one of the meals I tried on the Let’s Dish menu. Let’s Dish is a Minnesota company that offers convenient meal kits and meal delivery. If you’re in the Twin Cities area, I highly recommend you check them out.
In our version of this yummy and flavorful Indian dish, we loaded it with veggies and made it all in one skillet. I like to add even more veg by serving it over steamed cauli-rice and a handful of greens. Now if good ol’ plain white rice is your jam, that’s an option, too. The final step of this dish that adds even more flavor is to top it with fresh cilantro, green onions and a squeeze of lime juice. Is your mouth watering yet?
Made with Organic Whole Milk Plain Greek Yogurt and Organic Whipping Cream.
The richness of this recipe comes from the thick, whole milk Greek Yogurt and delicious heavy cream. We are thrilled to partner with our friends at Kalona SuperNatural for this recipe and use their Organic Whipping Cream and Organic Whole Milk Plain Greek Yogurt. Kalona Supernatural is committed to helping small midwest Amish and Mennonite farmers make organic farming a viable lifestyle. They’re committed to the providing the highest quality organic, non-homogenized, low-temperature pasteurized dairy products from grass-fed cows. Because of the high quality, Kalona SuperNatural is one of our go-to dairy products and one we recommend.
For a fast & easy 30 minute meal, use rotisserie or leftover chicken.
You’re going to love that it’s quick to make and perfect for weeknight dinners. Better yet, it’s freezer-friendly and reheats nicely so we recommend that you add this Indian Butter Chicken to your weekend meal prep rotation. Oh and you may want to consider doubling this recipe depending on how many mouths you’re feeding…you’ll want leftovers, trust me!
Indian Butter Chicken can be made in less than 30 minutes with the use of rotisserie or leftover chicken. One kitchen hack I practice is to always have cooked chicken on hand. I cook up a big batch of chicken (3-5 lbs.), cube or shred it, and then divide it into 2-3 cup portions and freeze it in zip-top bags. That way I always have chicken on hand to throw into soups, salads, or recipes like this one which saves a considerable amount of time when life gets busy. Additionally, to speed up the time it takes to make this recipe you can pre-chop the veggies a day or two before. Having the carrots, peppers and onions chopped and ready to go is a major time saver. As you can guess, I’m big on saving time. Now if you can chop like a pro (like Jess), more power to you. I, on the other hand, need to work on my knife skills so I like to have as much of the recipe done as I can.Give this rich and flavorful Indian Butter Chicken a try! #glutenfree @kalonaSN Click To Tweet
I can’t wait for you to give this recipe a try! When you do, we’d love for you to report back in the comments below and let us know how you liked it!
- 1 lb. chicken, cooked & cubed (about 2–3 chicken breast)
- 3/4 cup Kalona SuperNatural heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Kalona SuperNatural Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt + more to taste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp. butter or coconut oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped (white and green parts divided)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Steamed or sautéed cauliflower rice or cooked white rice and/or greens of choice + fresh lime wedges
- In a small bowl make the sauce by combining the heavy cream, Greek yogurt, chicken broth, tomato paste, curry powder, garam masala, chili powder, sea salt and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat the butter or coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot add the carrots, bell pepper, and onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and fresh ginger and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Next stir in the sauce, chicken and white parts of green onions. Combine and let simmer for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender stirring occasionally. Add additional broth if too thick.
- Serve over cauliflower rice or white rice and/or greens of choice. Top with green parts of green onions, fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive so we can continue providing free recipes and high-quality content for you.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 415
- Fat: 24g
- Sodium: 400mg
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- (Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 9g)
- Protein: 32g
Pin now, make later!
This post was made possible by our friends at Kalona SuperNatural™. Though we received compensation for this post, the opinions expressed here are – as always -100% our own. Thank you for supporting the great companies we work with thereby allowing us to continue creating great recipes and content for you.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.