- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled, cut in half, and sliced (~13 oz)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced (5-6 oz)
- 1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (~2-inch piece)
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, chilled, cut into pieces
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt or skyr (we recommend Siggi’s skyr)*
- ½ cup half-and-half
- Optional for serving: cooked white rice, naan, chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges, and/or toasted sesame seeds
- In the crock of a 6-quart or 8-quart slow cooker, place the sliced onions.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, bell pepper, carrots, tomato sauce, tomato paste, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, curry powder, garam masala, and salt; toss until well combined.
- Add the saucy chicken mixture to the slow cooker over top of the sliced onions.
- Dot the pieces of butter over top of the mixture.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 ½ hours or on low for 6 ½ hours.
- After the time is up, remove the lid, stir all ingredients until well combined, and turn off the slow cooker. When the liquid stops simmering and steaming (after 5-10 minutes), stir in the yogurt and the half-and-half. (NOTE: If you stir in the yogurt and half-and-half before letting the mixture cool down a little, it could curdle.)
- Serve over hot cooked rice or cauliflower rice, and/or with naan bread, and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and toasted sesame seeds.
*We have tested this recipe with both siggi’s plain 0% skyr and 4% skry (the only different being the amount of fat in these yogurts) and both products create delicious results and a creamy, thick sauce. We like to use siggi’s because it’s made from only a few ingredients and doesn’t contain a lot of sugar.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe (1 1/3 cups)
- Calories: 298
- Fat: 6g
- (Sat Fat: 3g)
- Sodium: 415mg
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- (Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 13g)
- Protein: 38g
- Cholesterol: 99mg