- 1 lb. ground beef
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning (homemade or organic store-purchased)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes (about 2½ – 3 cups)
- 1 sweet bell pepper, diced (red, yellow or orange)
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1½–2 cups diced mushrooms, chopped
- 2–3 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- Optional Toppings: Fresh cilantro, green onions, avocado, guacamole, jalapeños, fried egg, sour cream, mexican blend cheese or cotija cheese (omit sour cream and cheese if dairy-free/whole30).
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, seasonings and water to the pan. Cook until beef is browned. Remove beef from pan, set aside. Skip this step if using leftover taco meat.
- In the same skillet the beef was browned in, add ½ tablespoon of oil and heat over medium-high until melted and hot.
- Add diced sweet potatoes, dash with salt and pepper, and sauté for about 10-15 minutes or until just before fully cooked through stirring occasionally. Add more oil as needed.
- Add remaining ½ tablespoon of oil as well as the onions, red pepper and mushroom and sauté for about 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Fold in spinach and taco meat and continue to cook until heated through and spinach is wilted.
- Serve with toppings of choice.
Leftover taco meat works great. If using, skip steps 1.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 228
- Fat: 10 g
- (Sat Fat: 2 g)
- Sodium: 220 mg
- Carbohydrate: 17 g
- (Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 5 g)
- Protein: 18 g