- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter, ghee, or cooking oil of choice (for the Instant Pot version only)
- 1 lb. red potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or homemade bone broth)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon fine salt + more to taste
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch to thicken, optional (may substitute ¼ cup arrowroot starch)
- ½ cup heavy cream*
- 4 strips of crispy-cooked bacon, crumbled
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Place the chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and corn in the slow cooker.
- Add broth, thyme, parsley, pepper, and salt. Stir well.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on the LOW heat setting for 7-8 hours (or 4 hours on HIGH).
- Just before serving, remove the lid. Mix cornstarch with ⅓ cup water. Stir into hot soup and replace the lid.
- Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the soup has thickened slightly.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in the cream and bacon.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and parsley, if desired.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Select the ‘Sauté’ function on the Instant Pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter/oil to the pot.
- When the pot is hot, add onions, celery, and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until onions just start to soften.
- Stir in garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add chicken, potatoes, corn, broth, thyme, parsley, pepper, and salt. Stir well.
- Lock the lid into place and set the vent valve to the ‘sealing’ position.
- Cook at high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow 5 minutes of natural pressure release before flipping the vent valve to the ‘venting’ position to release residual steam.
- Mix potato starch with ⅓ cup water. Stir into hot soup until thickened slightly.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in cream and bacon. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Tips for freezing: Prepare soup through Step 3 for the slow cooker (step 5 for the Instant Pot). Allow soup to cool completely in the fridge before transferring to a freezer-safe container.
Remove soup from the freezer and allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge. Place soup in a large pot (or a slow cooker set to high or your Instant Pot set to ‘Sauté’) and heat until hot. Thicken with cornstarch, if desired, and stir in the cream just before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/6th recipe (1 ⅔ cups)
- Calories: 348
- Fat: 11g
- Sodium: 375mg
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- (Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 6g)
- Protein: 28g