Servings: Serves 10 (as an appetizer) 1x
For the Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- ½ cup coconut aminos (or ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce + ¼ cup water)
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey (omit for Whole30)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated (or ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon grated and peeled fresh ginger (or ¼ teaspoon ground ginger)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon corn starch (or 1 ½ teaspoon arrowroot starch for Whole30) mixed with 2 tablespoon water
For the Meatballs
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 6 green onions, sliced; green and white parts separated
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons Homemade Teriyaki Sauce (recipe above)
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375℉ degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. While the oven preheats, make the homemade teriyaki sauce.
- To make the teriyaki sauce, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the coconut aminos, water, honey, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil, whisking well to combine.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk the corn starch with 2 tablespoons cold water until the corn starch is dissolved.
- When the sauce starts to simmer vigorously (almost boiling) pour in the starch mixture, whisking slowly and constantly. Reduce the heat just slightly and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened, stirring frequently. Remove saucepan from heat and set aside. The sauce will thicken a little more as it cools.
- Place a small skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, add oil and swirl to coat. Add the white/light green parts of the onions and cook for 5 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, sauteed green onions, 3 tablespoons of the homemade teriyaki sauce, salt, and pepper using a large spoon or your hands to mix well.
- Form the meat mixture into 30 meatballs (about 2 tablespoons each) and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs for 13-15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven.
- Transfer meatballs to a large bowl and gently toss with the remaining Homemade Teriyaki Sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, the thinly sliced green onion tops, and thin strips of peeled and coiled carrot for garnish, if desired.
- Serving Size: 3 meatballs
- Calories: 195
- Fat: 8
- (Sat Fat: 3)
- Sodium: 563
- Carbohydrate: 10
- (Fiber: 0
- Sugar: 8)
- Protein: 19
- Cholesterol: 57