For the salad:
- 6 ounces regular or gluten-free pasta of choice, cooked according to package directions and cooled
- 2 cups loose-packed baby spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 cups berries of choice (if using strawberries, slice them)
- 2 green onion, ends trimmed, white and green parts thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- 2 cups cooked and diced or shredded chicken, cooled
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds, toasted (omit for nut-free)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
For the dressing:
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise (use vegan mayo for egg-free)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1/2 of a medium lemon)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Fine salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss gently to combine.
- Serve right away or place in the refrigerator until ready to serve, tossing gently just before serving.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To toast almonds on the stovetop:
- Place a skillet over medium heat.
- Add sliced or slivered almonds to the hot skillet, and then cook for 6-8 minutes or until they give off a toasted aroma. Make sure to watch them closely and stir often to avoid burning.
- Once almonds are fragrant and golden brown, transfer them to a plate to cool.
To toast almonds in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Place the almonds on a small sheet pan.
- Toast in the oven for 6-8 minutes, watching closely to avoid burning.
- Once almonds are fragrant and golden brown, remove from the oven and transfer them to a plate to cool.
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 220 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 15 g
- Cholesterol: 59 mg