- 1 ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 Tbsp. fat or choice (for stovetop and Instant Pot versions only)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, any color; diced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed and finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 ½–2 cups organic chicken broth (or homemade bone broth)
- 1 (14-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk*
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Fresh cilantro and lime wedges for garnish, optional
- Optional: 1 (14-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed (omit for Whole30)
Slow Cooker Directions
- Add the onion, peppers, garlic, and spices (cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, and black pepper), and beans, if using, to the bottom of a slow cooker. Arrange the chicken on top of the vegetables in a single layer.
- Add the broth and place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Set heat to LOW and cook 5-6 hours or until the chicken is done and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred it with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
- Turn the heat to HIGH. Add the coconut milk, stir and replace the lid. Continue heating for an additional 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve in bowls garnished with chopped cilantro and lime wedges, if desired.
- Place a large saucepan with a lid (or Dutch oven) over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp. fat of choice and heat until it just starts to shimmer. To the hot oil, add the onions and peppers. Saute 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion and peppers start to soften.
- Add garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, pepper, and beans, if using. Continue to cook an additional 30-60 seconds or until fragrant.
- Lay the chicken in the pan over the onion and pepper mixture. Add 1 cup of broth and bring it just to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Shred the chicken in the pan using two forks or transfer it to a cutting board to shred before returning it to the pan.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of broth and coconut milk and return to a simmer. Cover the pan and allow the chili to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve in bowls garnished with chopped parsley and lime wedges, if desired.
Instant Pot Directions
- Select the ‘Saute’ function on the Instant Pot.
- Add your fat of choice. When the oil just starts to shimmer, add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno.
- Saute 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion and peppers start to soften.
- Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, pepper, and beans, if using, and cook an additional 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Press ‘Cancel’. Add the chicken breasts and 1 1/2 cups of broth.
- Lock the lid into place. Turn the vent valve to the ‘Sealing’ position.
- Select the ‘Manual’ or ‘High Pressure’ setting and set the cooking time to 12 minutes.
- When cooking time is up, allow pressure to naturally release 10 minutes then release remaining pressure using the quick-release method (i.e. flip the vent valve to ‘Venting’ position)
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and shred it with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the Instant Pot
- Add the coconut milk, additional 1/2 cup of broth if needed, lime juice, and fresh cilantro. Stir to combine. Turn onto the sauté setting to heat through. Once hot, taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired.
*Light coconut milk may also be used which reduces the amount of fat to 10 grams per serving.
- Serving Size: 1/5 recipe (about 1 ½ cups)
- Calories: 327
- Fat: 17g
- Sodium: 676mg
- Carbohydrate: 6g
- (Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 3g)
- Protein: 28g