- 2 lbs ground beef or ground bison
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut in ½-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle or ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth, chicken broth, or vegetable broth
Optional Toppings: lime wedges, chopped cilantro, jalapeno slices, sliced green onions, jicama sticks, tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until browned, draining off any fat. Precooking the ground beef prevents the meat from clumping in the slow cooker and prevents excess grease from gathering in the slow cooker.
- Transfer the cooked ground beef to the slow cooker. Add all of the remaining ingredients.
- Stir well, cover, and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours, or until sweet potatoes are tender. Taste and add more seasonings, if you wish.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Instant Pot Directions: Use the Saute function to cook the ground beef; drain off any excess fat. Add all remaining ingredients and spices to the Instant Pot; stir well. Lock the lid into place and set on High Pressure cooking for 10 minutes. It will take several minutes for the Instant Pot to build up pressure and for the timer to start. After the time is up, allow for natural pressure release for 5 minutes, before switching the Vent to release any remaining pressure and then opening the lid.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 264
- Fat: 10 g
- (Sat Fat: 4 g)
- Sodium: 875 mg
- Carbohydrate: 10 g
- (Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 7 g)
- Protein: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 75 mg