- 1 – 1 ¼ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, raw
- Salt and black pepper
- 7–8 cups chicken broth (packaged or homemade), use less for thicker soup
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (1 ¼ – 1 ½ cups)
- 3–4 carrots, peeled and diced (1 ½ cups)
- 2–3 medium celery stalks, diced (~¾ – 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed between your fingers
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon dried sage or poultry seasoning
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 8 ounces cremini or baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced or diced
- 2 cups half and half (may use unsweetened plain non-dairy creamer or full-fat coconut milk for dairy-free)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (optional for thickening in Instant Pot)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, optional for garnish
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken into a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Stir in the broth (use 7 cups for thicker soup), wild rice, mushrooms, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, rosemary, thyme, sage, and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours (or high for 3-4 hours).
- When the chicken is cooked and shreds easily, remove the bay leaves and discard them. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker to a clean plate and shred using two forks. Add chicken back to the slow cooker and stir.
- Stir in the half and half.
- Cover and heat until warmed, an additional 15-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken breast, broth, wild rice, mushroom, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, rosemary, thyme, sage, bay leaves and mushrooms in the Instant Pot.
- Lock the lid into place. Turn the vent valve to the ‘Sealing’ position.
- Select ‘Manual’ or ‘High Pressure’ setting and set cook time to 12 minutes.
- When the cook time is up, release the pressure using the quick-release method (i.e. flip the vent valve to the ‘Venting’ position).
- When all of the pressure is released and lid unlocks, remove the chicken to a clean plate and shred with two forks. Set aside.
- Replace the lid on the Instant Pot and cook an additional 6 minutes, allowing for 5 minutes of natural pressure release.
- Stir in the half and half.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the Instant Pot and stir.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
- Optional step for Instant Pot: If you prefer even thicker soup, remove ½ cup of the liquid in the Instant Pot to a small bowl. Whisk 2 tablespoons of cornstarch into the liquid to create a slurry. Set the Instant Pot to the Saute function until the liquid starts to simmer. Stir in the cornstarch slurry into the soup and stir until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serving Size: ⅛ of repipe (~1 ½ cups)
- Calories: 320
- Fat: 14 g
- Sodium: 250 mg
- Carbohydrate: 23 g
- (Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 6 g)
- Protein: 24 g