Servings: Serves 10 1x
- Cooking spray
- 2 pounds lean ground beef, bison or turkey
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium beef broth (may substitute water or chicken broth)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, any color, diced
- 1/2 – 1 small jalapeño pepper, finely diced (seeds and membranes removed for less heat)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray then add the ground beef. Use a spatula to break up the meat then cook 6-7 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the there is an excessive amount of fat in the pan before adding the meat to the slow cooker.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, green chilies, kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, broth, onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, paprika, cinnamon salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 4-5 hours).
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve with desired toppings.
Recipe directions updated 12/6/2022 to eliminate cooking the onions and peppers with the ground beef and streamline prep time.
- Serving Size: 1 ⅓ cups
- Calories: 425
- Fat: 13 g
- (Sat Fat: 2 g)
- Sodium: 600 mg
- Carbohydrate: 40 g
- (Fiber: 13 g
- Sugar: 9 g)
- Protein: 38 g
- Cholesterol: 39 mg