- Bones from (1) 3-4lb. chicken
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
We recommend adding vegetables and herbs as they add great flavor and nutrients, however, they are optional.
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and cut in half
- 1 medium parsnip, scrubbed and cut into large chunks (may substitute more carrots, if desired)
- 3 celery ribs (or ends and leaves to equal 1 cup)
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered with skin and root end intact
- 6 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 8–10 peppercorns
- A handful of fresh herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme, and/or parsley)
- Place bones, vegetables, peppercorns, herbs, and vinegar into the pot of the Instant Pot.
- Add enough water to just cover the bones and vegetables in the pot, about 3/4 full.
- Wipe rim of insert dry with a towel. Place lid on Instant Pot and lock into place.
- Flip vent valve to ‘Sealing’.
- Select ‘Manual’ or High-Pressure setting and adjust the cooking time to 120 minutes.
- Optional: to ensure a gelatinous bone broth, run the cycle a second time for 120 minutes on low-pressure.
- When cooking is done, allow pressure to release naturally (10-20 minutes).
- Release any residual pressure using the vent valve before removing the lid.
- Allow broth to cool before straining the broth through a mesh lined strainer into jars for storage.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 80
- Fat: 0
- (Sat Fat: 0)
- Sodium: 270 mg
- Carbohydrate: 0
- (Fiber: 0
- Sugar: 0)
- Protein: 20 g