For the Meatballs:
- 1 lb. ground chicken (may sub ground lamb, turkey, or beef)
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (or ¾ teaspoon dried dill)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Bowls:
- 1 cup thinly sliced Persian (mini) cucumbers
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved (~6 ounces)
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ⅓ cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt plus more to taste
- Pinch of black pepper
- 4 heaping handfuls chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 cups cooked rice (may sub cooked orzo or cauliflower rice)
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup Good Foods Tzatziki Dip*
- 1 medium lemon, cut into wedges
- In a medium bowl combine the ground chicken, red onion, garlic, lemon zest, dill, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine (or use your hands to combine).
- Divide the mixture into 16 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball with damp hands. Proceed with the meatball cooking method of choice below (air fryer, skillet, or oven).
- While the meatballs are cooking, assemble the bowls. To a medium bowl, add the cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, olives, and mint. To the same bowl, add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine then taste, adding more salt and pepper as needed.
- To each of 4 serving bowls, place a large handful of lettuce, ¾ cup cooked rice, ⅓ cup of the tomato-cucumber mixture, and 4 cooked meatballs to each bowl. Sprinkle with feta cheese and top off each bowl with 2 tablespoons of Tzatziki sauce. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.
To Cook The Meatballs: You can cook the meatballs in several ways, using any of the methods below.
Air Fryer Directions:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Place the meatballs in the air fryer basket, spacing them out so they don’t touch (you may need to work in batches).
- Air fry the meatballs until cooked through, 7-8 minutes, and until they register 165°F on an instant-read thermometer. Turning meatballs halfway through cooking time for even browning.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 teaspoons of oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the skillet.
- Add the chicken meatballs and cook for 5-7 minutes on one side. Turn the meatballs over and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes and until they reach an internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place meatballs in an even layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-16 minutes and until they register 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.
* We love this store-bought Tzatziki Style Dip from Good Foods because it’s made with 100% real-food ingredients. It’s a plant-based and gluten-free dip made from a base of cauliflower, almonds, cashews, cucumbers, and fresh herbs (and it’s so full of great fresh dill flavor)! Find it in the refrigerated case at stores near you with this store locator.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl (1 cup greens, 3/4 cup rice, 4 meatballs, 1/4 of the veggies, 1 1/2 tbsp feta, and 2 tbsp Tzatziki)
- Calories: 404
- Fat: 13 g
- (Sat Fat: 3 g)
- Sodium: 956 mg
- Carbohydrate: 37 g
- (Fiber: 5 g
- Sugar: 4 g)
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 86 mg