- 2 cups King Arthur Flour Almond FlourKing Arthur Flour Almond Flour (172 grams)
- 1 cup tapioca starch (113 grams)
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. flax meal* + 6 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk of choice)
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- In a small bowl, whisk together flax meal and water to make the ‘flax eggs’. Set aside for 5 minutes while the mixture thickens. Skip this step if you’re using regular eggs.
- In a measuring cup, combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and allow this rest until slightly thickened (about 15 minutes, depending on the milk you are using).
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, tapioca starch, and baking powder. Whisk or stir to combine well.
- To the dry ingredients, add the almond milk and apple cider vinegar mixture, flax eggs (or eggs, if using), maple syrup, vanilla, and melted coconut oil. Whisk just until batter is smooth.
- Using a ¼ cup scoop (or size recommended by waffle iron manufacturer), pour batter into the preheated waffle iron and cook until golden brown and steam is no longer coming from the waffle iron. NOTE: It’s important to wait for the steam to stop before attempting to open the waffle iron. Opening it too soon will cause the waffles to stick.
- Serve with pure maple syrup, if desired.
*May also be labeled tapioca flour – May substitute Arrowroot starch or Potato Starch (not potato flour) for the tapioca starch
**May substitute 2 large eggs for the flax meal + water, for a non-vegan version if desired
**Note: number of waffles made will depend on the size of the waffle iron you use.
Stored cooled waffles in a covered container or in a sealed zip-top bag on the counter for up to 2 days. May also be frozen for longer storage. Reheat frozen waffles in a waffle iron set to low heat.
- Serving Size: 1 large waffle
- Calories: 340
- Fat: 25g
- (Sat Fat: 12g)
- Sodium: 280mg
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- (Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 7g)
- Protein: 5g