For the Kebabs:
- 1 ¼ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces (may substitute chicken thighs or pork chops or pork loin)
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about ½ of a small pineapple)
- 2 medium sweet bell peppers, any color, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or olive oil
- Fine salt and black pepper
- Metal or wooden skewers (soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes before grilling)
For the Sauce*:
- ½ cup Primal Kitchen No-Soy Teriyaki Sauce*
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos**
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients and whisk well. Add ⅓ cup sauce to the chicken and stir, reserving the remaining sauce for basting and serving. Place the chicken in the refrigerator to marinate while you chop the vegetables and grill preheats.
- Cut the pineapple and vegetables. Place the vegetables in a medium bowl and toss with oil.
- Preheat the grill to high indirect heat (450F).
- To prepare the skewers, thread the chicken, pineapple, peppers, and onions onto the skewers alternating as you go.
- Set aside 1/4 cup sauce for serving and use the remaining 2 tablespoons to brush the kebabs on all sides.
- Place the kebabs on the grill grate and grill over indirect heat for 8 minutes. Turn the kebabs and grill an additional 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables and pineapple are tender.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately with reserved sauce. Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. For best results, store the chicken separately from the pineapple and vegetables to prevent the chicken from becoming mealy.
*To make homemade no-soy teriyaki sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup coconut aminos, 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon ground ginger.
**If you don’t need kebabs to be Whole30, you can also use 1 tablespoon soy sauce, tamari, or shoyu mixed with 1 tablespoon water in place of the 2 tablespoons coconut aminos.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe (~5 ounces chicken, 1/2 cup pineapple, 1/2 cup peppers) with sauce
- Calories: 270
- Fat: 6 g
- (Sat Fat: 1 g)
- Sodium: 447 mg
- Carbohydrate: 15 g
- (Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 13 g)
- Protein: 33 g
- Cholesterol: 81 mg