- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 5 cups broccoli florets (may also use the broccoli stems)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled or scrubbed and cut into ¼–½ inch cubes (2-2 ½ cups)
- ½ medium red onion, sliced (⅔ cup)
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup chopped dates (may substitute raisins or dried cranberries)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans or walnuts (or a mix), toasted
- Lemon or lime wedge and/or shredded Parmesan or Manchego cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Mist a 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray (may also use a round 10-inch baking dish or any 3-quart baking dish).
- In the dish, combine the chicken pieces, broccoli, sweet potatoes, red onion, garlic, dates, oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Toss until all ingredients are coated evenly with the oil and seasonings.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the foil, stir, and continue to bake (uncovered) until the sweet potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165°F, another 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the nuts by placing a small skillet over medium heat. Add the nuts to the skillet. Toast until the nuts are lightly browned and fragrant, stirring occasionally and watching carefully so they don’t burn, 4-7 minutes. Remove nuts from heat.
- Stir in or sprinkle the nuts over the Sweet Potato Broccoli Chicken Bake just before serving. Serve topped shredded cheese and a lemon wedge and garnish with fresh thyme leaves, if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Sheet Pan Instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- On the sheet pan, combine the broccoli, sweet potato, onion, and garlic. Drizzle with oil, add seasonings, salt, and pepper; toss to coat. Spread ingredients in an even layer on the sheet pan, cover with foil, and bake 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes, remove from oven, remove the foil, add the chicken, toss and replace the foil. Return to the oven for another 8 minutes. Remove from oven again, stir in the raisins and untoasted nuts, and return to oven (without foil) and bake until the chicken is cooked through and sweet potatoes are soft, another 8-10 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 13 g
- (Sat Fat: 2 g)
- Sodium: 560 mg
- Carbohydrate: 16 g
- (Fiber: 4 g
- Sugar: 12 g)
- Protein: 29 g
- Cholesterol: 65 mg