Peach BBQ Sauce
- 4 dates, pitted
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 Tbsp. ghee (we recommend Pure Indian Foods ghee)
- ½ cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 12-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 medium peaches, peeled and roughly chopped (may substitute 2 cups frozen peach slices, thawed, when fresh peaches are out of season)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Whole30-compliant dijon mustard (such as Annie’s or 365 Everyday brand)
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- ½ tsp natural liquid smoke
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 cup Peach BBQ Sauce
- Place pitted dates in a blender or food processor. Cover with boiling water and set aside for 5 minutes to allow dates to soften.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt ghee and saute onions 7-8 minutes or until translucent and soft. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Transfer onion and garlic mixture to blender with the dates.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour 1 cup BBQ sauce over chicken. Stir to coat chicken then cover with lid and cook on LOW heat for 5-6 hours or until cooked through.
- Allow chicken to cool slightly before shredding with 2 forks right in the slow cooker. Toss to combine and transfer to serving dish.
- Combine all slaw ingredients in a medium bowl and toss well to coat. Serve with shredded chicken.
- Store leftover sauce in a glass jar with lid in the fridge for up to 2 weeks (or freeze for longer storage).
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
- Calories: 225
- Fat: 15g
- Sodium: 389mg
- Carbohydrate: 10g
- (Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 3g)
- Protein: 30g