Servings: 5 cups (8 servings) 1x
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups packed arugula
- 1 medium peach, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup thinly sliced Persian (or mini) cucumber
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (~½ cup)
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
For the vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (~1 small lemon)
- 2 tablespoon finely diced shallots
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pure honey
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- Make the quinoa: first rinse 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa in fine mesh strainer under cold water. In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring 1 cup of water and the quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover with a lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat, let it sit for 5 minutes covered, then fluff with a fork. Set aside to cool. This step can be done a day or two in advance.
- Toast the almonds: Place a skillet over medium heat. Add nuts to the hot skillet, and then heat until the nuts give off a toasted aroma, 3-6 minutes. Be sure to stay near the stove, watch them closely, and stir often to avoid burning. Once the almonds are fragrant and golden brown, remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl or mason jar with cover, combine the oil, lemon juice, shallots, mustard, honey, and salt. Whisk or shake to combine well. Set aside.
- Make the salad: In a large bowl combine the cooled quinoa, arugula, peaches, cucumbers, onion, goat cheese, almonds, and mint. Add the vinaigrette to the bowl and toss to coat. Add additional salt to taste.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days
For dairy-free, omit the goat cheese or use dairy-free feta as a replacement
For vegan, omit the goat cheese and use maple syrup instead of honey.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup (1/8 of recipe)
- Calories: 175
- Fat: 10 g
- (Sat Fat: 4 g)
- Sodium: 165 mg
- Carbohydrate: 12 g
- (Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 3 g)
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 11 mg