- 1 large red onion
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar* (optional)
- 1¼ teaspoons sea salt
- 10–12 whole peppercorns (optional)
- Slice onions as thin as possible using a knife or mandolin slicer; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the hot water, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns. Stir until the salt and sugar dissolve.
- Add the sliced onions to the bowl of liquid and stir gently. Press down on the onions so that they’re submerged in the liquid.
- Cover bowl with a clean towel or lid. Set aside the onions to rest on the counter at room temperature for 1 hour before serving or transferring the bowl to the fridge for longer storage. The Quick Pickled Onions will keep in the fridge in a tightly covered container for up to 3 weeks. If desired, transfer the onions and liquid to jars or smaller containers for easier storage.
This is a refrigerator-type pickle and not intended for canning. The acidity in this recipe is too low for canning, so store the Quick Pickled Onions in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
*Omit sugar for a Whole30 or Paleo version. Doing so will make for slightly more acidic flavor, but they will still taste delicious as an addition to meals of all kinds.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 6
- Fat: 0 g
- Sodium: 85 mg
- Carbohydrate: 1 g
- (Sugar: 1 g)
- Protein: 0 g