- 1¼ cups gluten-free baking flour blend (180 g)*
- ½ cup whey protein powder or collagen peptides (vanilla or unflavored) (40 g)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice**
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 (15-oz) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup brown sugar (may sub coconut sugar) (100 g)
- 2 whole eggs
- ¼ cup olive oil or avocado oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup (75 g)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Raw green pepitas (pumpkin seeds), coarsely chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mist the cups of a standard 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, protein powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. Toss to combine.
- In another bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, eggs, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla; mix well. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Divide the batter among the 12 cups in the muffin tin (about ¼ cup batter into each muffin cup). Smooth the batter slightly in each muffin cup with the back of a spoon or with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle chopped pepitas over the batter.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool a few minutes in the muffin tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store the cooled muffins in a covered container at room temperature for up to 1 week, or freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
*You can use the same amount (180 g) of unbleached all-purpose flour if you don’t need your muffins to be gluten free. For gluten-free baking flours, we like Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour or King Arthur Measure-for-Measure Gluten-Free Flour.
**If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own. To do so, mix 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon ground allspice, and a pinch of ground cloves.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 176
- Fat: 5 g
- (Sat Fat: 1 g)
- Sodium: 226 mg
- Carbohydrate: 25 g
- (Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 13 g)
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 24 mg