For the Bowls:
- 1 lb. flank steak (may substitute NY strip or sirloin steak)
- 1 pint (10 ounces) grape or cherry tomatoes
- ½ medium red onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped (~10-12 cups)
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- ⅓ cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 cup garlic hummus (or store-bought hummus of choice)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Skewers for veggies
- 2 tsp. oil of choice (such as avocado oil or olive oil)
- Lemon wedges and/or torn fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
For the Herbed-Yogurt Dressing:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried dill
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh mint (or ½ tsp dried mint)
To make the dressing:
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Store in the fridge until ready to use, up to 5 days.
To make the bowls:
- Preheat grill to high heat (about 450℉).
- Pat the steak dry with paper towels and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Thread cherry tomatoes and quartered onions onto skewers, brush with the oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- When the grill is hot, place flank steak and tomato and onion skewers on the grill. Grill veggies, turning occasionally, for 5-8 minutes or until onions are softened and tomatoes start to blister.
- Grill the steak for 4-5 minutes, then flip and grill an additional 4-5 minutes for medium-rare (6-7 minutes per side for medium) or until an instant-read thermometer reads 140℉ for medium-rare or 150℉ for medium.
- Remove steak to a plate and cover loosely with another plate, or oil and allow steak to rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
- While the steak rests, divide the chopped romaine between 4 plates or shallow bowls. Top with sliced steak, grilled vegetables, hummus, chopped cucumbers, olives, and feta cheese.
- Drizzle with Herbed-Yogurt Dressing and garnish with lemon wedges and/or torn fresh mint leaves.
If you don’t have a grill, you can use the broiler:
Set the broiler to high and position the top oven rack 6-8 inches from the broiler. Place the steak and veggie skewers on a large, rimmed baking sheet and broil until steak is to your liking and veggies are slightly charred. Cooking time may vary from the directions for grilling depending on how hot the broiler is.
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 513
- Fat: 28g
- Sodium: 819mg
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- (Fiber: 7g
- Sugar: 11g)
- Protein: 37g