- 1 ½ lb. beef stew meat
- 2 Tbsp. cooking fat of choice
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb. potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes, skin on (Red, Yukon Gold, or Russet will work)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (may substitute frozen green beans)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Select ‘Saute’ on the Instant Pot. Melt 1 Tbsp. cooking fat in the pot. Season the beef cubes with a little salt and pepper. Add half of the beef and cook until browned, 2-3 minutes, then flip and repeat until browned on all sides. Transfer meat to a plate and repeat with remaining cooking fat and beef. Press ‘Cancel’ when the second half of the meat has been browned. Return all meat to the Instant Pot.
- Place remaining ingredients in the Instant Pot (with the exception of green beans, frozen peas, salt, pepper). Stir, lock the lid into place, set the vent valve to the ‘sealing’ position, and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Allow for 10 minutes of natural release before flipping the value to the ‘venting’ position to release any remaining pressure.
- Press ‘Cancel’ then select the ‘Saute’ setting. Add the green beans and frozen peas and cook for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste before serving.
SLOW COOKER: For a slow cooker beef soup cook on low in the slow cooker for 6-8 hours. Add the frozen green beans and frozen peas 30 minutes before serving. Add more broth if needed.
- Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Calories: 410
- Fat: 24g
- (Sat Fat: 9g)
- Sodium: 275mg
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- (Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 5g)
- Protein: 28g