- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ½ pounds boneless beef chuck roast, fat trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ⅔ cup water or beef broth
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Optional for Serving: Slider buns, coleslaw, and/or pickled jalapeños. Also delicious served over polenta (prepare according to package directions).
- 1 (9-ounce) bag coleslaw mix
- ⅓ cup mayo
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional – omit for no sugar added)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Fine salt & pepper to taste
- Add slaw ingredients to a bowl. Stir to combine well. Leftovers may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Select the ‘Saute’ function on the Instant Pot. When the pot is hot, add the oil. When the oil starts to shimmer, add the onion and cook until the onion starts to soften, stirring frequently, about 2-3 minutes.
- Press ‘Cancel’ and add the beef pieces; stir.
- Add the water or broth, tomato paste, mustard, vinegar, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Lock the lid into place and cook at high pressure for 40 minutes. Note: It will take some time for the Instant Pot to build up pressure before the 40-minute timer starts. When the cooking time is up, allow for 5 minutes of natural pressure release before flipping the vent valve to ‘venting’ to release any residual pressure.
- Using two forks, shred the beef directly in the pot (or transfer the beef a plate if that’s easier, then return the beef to the pot after shedding). Stir to combine the shredded beef with the sauce. Serve as desired.
Looking for a slow-cooker recipe for Shredded BBQ Beef? We have one of those right here.
- Serving Size: 3.5 ounces shredded beef
- Calories: 234
- Fat: 13 g
- (Sat Fat: 5 g)
- Sodium: 323 mg
- Carbohydrate: 5 g
- (Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar: 2 g)
- Protein: 21 g
- Cholesterol: 67 mg