- ½ lb. ground beef or bison
- ½ lb. bulk Italian sausage* (mild or hot)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 24-25 ounce jar no sugar added marinara sauce
- 4–5 medium zucchini, spiralized into ‘noodles’
- 1 Tbsp. avocado or olive oil
- Fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
*May substitute ground pork + 1 ½ tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Spiralize zucchini into noodles. Arrange on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper and toss with oil. Sprinkle with salt. Set pan aside while oven preheats.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, Italian sausage and salt. Mix to combine. Roll into 16 balls.
- Turn Instant Pot to ‘Saute’. When pot is hot, add meatballs in a single layer (adding a little oil is optional) Allow meatballs to cook 5 minutes or until browned on the bottom and easy to turn over using a tong.
- Continue to turn and brown on all ‘sides’ and allow some of the fat to render out of the meatballs.
- Press ‘Cancel’ and carefully drain some of the fat from the meatballs.
- Add marinara sauce and stir gently to cover meatballs.
- Wipe edge of inner pot with a clean towel (to ensure a tight seal). Select ‘Manual’ (or another high-pressure setting) and set cook time for 8 minutes.
- While meatballs and marinara are cooking, bake zucchini noodles until tender (about 10 minutes), tossing halfway through baking time.
- Use quick-release when cooking time is up. Serve meatballs and marinara over zucchini noodles. Garnish with a healthy sprinkle of fresh basil, if desired.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 4 meatballs, ⅔ cup sauce, 1/4th of zucchini noodles
- Calories: 415
- Fat: 24g
- Sodium: 802mg
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- (Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 10g)
- Protein: 26g