- 2 ½ lb. chuck roast, well-trimmed
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt (or 1 tsp. fine sea salt)
- ½ medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ¾ cup of water
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2-3 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. cooking fat of choice
Serving suggestion: Serve in a bowl with rice, greens, cilantro, lime wedges, shredded or cotija cheese, corn, pico, black beans, jalapeño slices, mashed or thinly sliced avocado, a drizzle of Primal Kitchen Cilantro Lime Dressing, finely minced red onions or pickled onions
- Place roast on a large plate and pat dry with paper towels. Rub salt over the surface of the meat.
- Select ‘Saute’ on Instant Pot. When the inner pot is hot, add fat. When the fat starts to shimmer, add roast and sear 2-3 minutes on each side until the roast is browned on all sides. Press ‘Cancel’ on Instant Pot.
- While the roast is browning, add onion, garlic, tomato paste, water, lime juice, cumin, oregano, and cloves to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour onion-tomato mixture over the roast in the Instant Pot, lifting the roast with a set of tongs to allow the liquid to get underneath the roast.
- Place bay leaves on top of roast, lock lid into place, flip vent valve to the ‘sealing’ position, and cook at high pressure for 75 minutes (adding 10% for high altitude).
- When cooking time is up, allow for 20 minutes of natural pressure release before releasing any residual steam and removing the lid.
- Carefully remove roast to a clean plate and shred with 2 forks, adding some the cooking liquid back to the meat as desired. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serving Size: 4 ounces
- Calories: 208
- Fat: 9g
- (Sat Fat: 3g)
- Sodium: 436mg
- Carbohydrate: 5g
- (Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 1g)
- Protein: 28g