- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (~2 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (~1 cup)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 oz. (1 large) sweet potato, peeled and cubed (~2 cups)
- 10 oz. (2-3) Yukon gold potatoes, cubed (~2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (~1 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, diced (~1 cup)
- 2 (14-oz.) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 quart (4 cups) low-sodium beef broth + additional if needed
- 1 ½ tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (plus more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 oz fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (can also use frozen green beans)
- 2 cups chopped and packed kale, tough stems removed (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the ground beef, onion, green pepper, and garlic. Cook and stir until the ground beef is no longer pink.
- Drain the ground beef mixture and transfer it to a large slow cooker. Add all remaining ingredients, except for the green beans and kale.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
- When there is about 1 hour of cooking time remaining, open the lid on the slow cooker and stir in the green beans and kale. If you prefer your soup to be thinner, feel free to add additional broth at this time. Replace the lid and continue to cook for 1 hour, or until the green beans are tender. If using frozen green beans, wait to add them until just 30 minutes of cooking time remains.
- Taste and season as desired before serving.
Instant Pot Directions: (Use half the amount of every ingredient if making this recipe in the Instant Pot.)
- Select ‘Saute’ on the Instant Pot and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add ground beef, garlic, onions, and bell pepper, sauté for 5-7 minutes or until meat is cooked and no longer pink.
- Add the rest of the ingredient, except for the kale. If using frozen green beans, don’t add them yet. If using fresh green beans, add them at this step. Add just 2 cups of broth instead of 4 cups. Lock the lid into place and flip valve to sealing position.
- Cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. After the cooking time is up, allow for 5-7 minutes of natural pressure release before flipping value to venting position to release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid. Turn to the Sauté function and stir in the kale (and green beans, if using frozen). Continue to cook until the kale is tender, 3-5 minutes more.
- Serving Size: 1 3/4 cups (1/6 of recipe)
- Calories: 340
- Fat: 6 g
- (Sat Fat: 2 g)
- Sodium: 870 mg
- Carbohydrate: 48 g
- (Fiber: 8 g
- Sugar: 13 g)
- Protein: 24 g
- Cholesterol: 45 mg