- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon butter, divided (plus more for greasing the dish)
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced small
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, any color, diced small
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (use gluten-free flour blend, if needed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 6 large eggs, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 8–10 ounces diced ham
- Fine salt and black pepper taste
- Preheat oven to 375℉. Generously grease the bottom and sides of a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish (or 9×9-inch baking dish) with butter and set aside.
- Place a small skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, add 1 teaspoon of the butter. When the butter is melted, add the diced onion and bell pepper and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup milk, 1 of the eggs, and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter; whisk until smooth with only a few lumps remaining.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish using a spatula, if needed, to spread the batter evenly over the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle ¾ cup cheese over the batter.
- To the bowl you used to make the batter, add the remaining 5 eggs, remaining ½ cup milk, and remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the sauteed peppers and onions to the bowl along with the diced ham. Pour this mixture over the batter and shredded cheese in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup shredded cheese over top of the egg mixture. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
For gluten-free flour, we like Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free Baking Blend
May sub olive oil and nonstick cooking spray for the butter
- Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Calories: 330
- Fat: 16 g
- (Sat Fat: 8 g)
- Sodium: 664 mg
- Carbohydrate: 21 g
- (Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 4 g)
- Protein: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 186 mg