For the Grilled Salmon Kebabs:
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon (1 tablespoon juice + ½ teaspoon zest)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 20 to 24 ounces of skin-on salmon fillets (3-4 fillets)
- 2 lemons, sliced into thin rounds
- 4 large/long wooden or metal skewers*
For the Curry Yogurt Sauce:
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (or plain skyr)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (½ medium)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 pinch smoked paprika (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, honey, garlic powder, salt, and pepper with a fork. Set aside.
- Pat the salmon filets dry with paper towels. Cut each filet into 5-6 equal sized pieces (about 1-inch cubes) and place in a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the salmon pieces and gently toss to coat. Let the salmon chunks marinate while you preheat the grill and make the yogurt sauce (about 10 to 15 minutes total).
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (400℉).
- Make the Curry Yogurt Sauce: In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, cilantro, curry powder, salt, and paprika (if using) until smooth. If the sauce is very thick, add 1-2 tablespoons of water and whisk again. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Thread the salmon pieces and folded lemon slices onto skewers so that they are alternating. Place the skewers directly onto the grill grate over indirect heat. Cook for 5 minutes, flip the kebabs, and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the salmon easily flakes with a fork. Remove kebabs from the grill to a clean plate.
- Drizzle each kebab with the yogurt sauce and sprinkle with additional chopped cilantro.
*If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling to prevent the skewers from burning.
Don’t marinate the salmon chunks for longer than 10 to 15 minutes (the time it takes to preheat the grill and make the yogurt sauce), otherwise the acidity of the lemon juice will cause the salmon to “cook” and be less tender.
- Serving Size: 1 skewer (1/4 of recipe with sauce)
- Calories: 220
- Fat: 9 g
- (Sat Fat: 2 g)
- Sodium: 325 mg
- Carbohydrate: 3 g
- (Fiber: 0 g
- Sugar: 2 g)
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 88 mg