- 1 lb. lean ground beef or sirloin (90-93% lean)
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup Primal Kitchen Unsweetened Pizza Sauce
- 4 mozzarella cheese slices (about 4 ounces)
- 4 buns or large dinner rolls, toasted, if desired (use gluten-free, if needed)
- Fresh basil leaves for serving
- Optional toppings: green leaf lettuce, thinly sliced red onions, and fresh tomato slices
- Preheat grill to high heat (450-475℉) if using indirect heat such as a Traeger grill or medium-high heat (400℉) if using direct heat such as gas grill or charcoal grill.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Mix well with clean hands to distribute spices without over mixing.
- Divide the meat mixture into 4 portions and flatten into patties ¼-inch thick. Using your index finger, press a small indentation into the center of each patty.
- Place patties on the grill grate and cook for 4 minutes. Flip the patties and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Top each patty with a slice of mozzarella cheese and cook an additional 1-2 minutes with the grill lid closed or until the cheese is melted. Remove the patties from the grill to rest for 2 minutes.
- Place a small saucepan over low heat and heat the pizza sauce (or heat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds or until hot).
- Top each bun bottom with a patty, 1 ½ tablespoons pizza sauce, and a few fresh basil leaves. Top with bun top and serve immediately.
To Toast the Buns: After adding the mozzarella cheese to the top of each burger, place the buns, split-side down, directly on the grill grate.