- 1 lb. small-medium Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed and other leaves removed
- 1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoons spicy brown or Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 small garlic clove, grated or finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (reduce or omit for less heat)
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of fine salt
- Preheat the grill to high heat (425℉). If using wooden or bamboo skewers, place 5 to 6 skewers in a shallow pan or dish with water to soak for 30 minutes.
- Steam the Brussel sprouts for 4-5 minutes using your preferred method. Allow the sprouts to cool for 3-4 minutes or until cool enough to handle. See NOTES below for steaming method options.
- Thread the steamed Brussels sprouts onto the skewers by inserting the pointed end of the skewer into the stem of the sprout then using your hand to gently, but firmly, slide it onto the skewer.
- Make the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, mustard, oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt. Set aside 1 tablespoon of the glaze to be used later.
- Brush the glaze onto the skewered sprouts. If you don’t have a brush, spoon the glaze onto the sprouts and slather it around with the back of the spoon.
- Place the skewers directly on the grill grate and cook over direct heat for 2 minutes or until grill marks appear and the outermost leaves start to get charred and crispy on the edges. Turn the skewers and repeat two more times, cooking for a total of 6 minutes or until the sprouts are cooked to your liking.
- Remove the skewers from the grill and place on a clean plate or platter. Drizzle the reserved 1 tablespoon glaze over the Brussels sprouts and serve. May be served hot or cold.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Microwave Directions for Steaming Brussels Sprouts:
If using Ocean Mist Farms Season & Steam Whole Brussels, just open the bag, season the Brussels sprouts with salt and pepper, reseal the bag, and place it in the microwave with the steam valve side up. Microwave for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove the bag from the microwave and carefully open the bag to release the steam.
Stovetop Directions for Steaming Brussels Sprouts:
Place a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid on the stove. Add ½ inch of water to the skillet and bring water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper. Cover the skillet with the lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Steam for 3-4 minutes or until the sprouts are crisp-tender. Drain skillet and pat Brussels sprouts dry with a paper towel or clean kitchen towel.
- Serving Size: About 5 Brussels sprouts
- Calories: 70
- Fat: 3 g
- (Sat Fat: 0 g)
- Sodium: 65 mg
- Carbohydrate: 10 g
- (Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 5 g)
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 0