Servings: 20-24 cookies 1x
For the Topping:
- 3 tablespoons cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Cookie Batter
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened*
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend (290-300g)**
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together the 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the softened butter, 3/4 cup cane sugar, and egg. Mix together with a hand mixer, stand mixer, or with a wooden spoon until creamy. Add the maple syrup and molasses; stir.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, baking soda, and salt. Stir until a dough forms.
- Scoop the dough out by the spoonful (about 2 tablespoons at a time). Roll each portion between your palms to make a ball.
- Roll each dough ball in the bowl of sugar-cinnamon mixture until evenly coated.
- Place the coated cookie dough ball on the parchment-covered baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough and sugar-cinnamon mix until all dough is used. Using the bottom of a glass or your palm, slightly flatten each dough ball.
- Bake cookies until just lightly golden brown on the bottoms and edges, about 10-12 minutes.
- Let the cookies sit on the baking sheets for 3-5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. The cookies will be soft to the touch but they will become more firm as they cool.
*For a non-dairy cookie, use a plant-based or vegan stick butter in place of the unsalted butter.
**For gluten-free flours, we recommend Bob’s Red Mill One-to-One Gluten-Free Baking Flour or King Arthur Measure-for-Measure Gluten-Free Flour. If you don’t want or need gluten-free cookies, you can use the same amount of unbleached all-purpose flour.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 113
- Fat: 4 g
- (Sat Fat: 2 g)
- Sodium: 53 mg
- Carbohydrate: 19 g
- (Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar: 9 g)
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 16 mg