For the Cinnamon Swirl
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
For the Crumb Topping
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour blend or all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted cold butter
For the Coffee Cake Batter
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour blend or all-purpose flour* (about 220–230 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice**
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup dairy or non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (to sprinkle on top)
To make the Cinnamon Swirl
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, and chopped pecans.
To make the Crumb Topping:
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar, gluten-free flour, and cinnamon. Cut the cold butter into the mixture using a pastry cutter or two knives until a crumble forms.
To make the Pumpkin Coffee Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a round or square 9″ cake pan, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and sea salt; set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, sugar, milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together.
- Pour half the coffee cake batter into the prepared cake pan. Using a spatula, evenly spread it out.
- Next, spoon the cinnamon swirl onto the coffee cake batter and carefully spread it out evenly over the entire batter surface.
- Pour the rest of the coffee cake batter over the cinnamon swirl and use the spatula to carefully smooth it out to cover the cinnamon swirl.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top of the coffee cake batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Remove pan from the oven, let the cake cool slightly before cutting into 8 slices.
*We like Bob’s Red Mill One-to-One Gluten-Free Baking Flour or King Arthur Measure-for-Measure Gluten-Free Flour. You can also use regular all-purpose flour if you don’t need or want coffee cake that is gluten free.
**If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, mix 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice, and a pinch of ground cloves.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 307
- Fat: 10 g
- (Sat Fat: 4 g)
- Sodium: 237 mg
- Carbohydrate: 50 g
- (Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 24 g)
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 52 mg