Servings: 4 servings 1x
- ½ cup coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- ½ teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder (*see recipe note below)
- 1–2 teaspoons avocado oil, coconut oil, or olive oil
- 8 green onions, sliced; white/light green and dark green parts separated
- 1 pound lean ground chicken or turkey (we use 93% lean / 7% fat)
- 2 12-ounce bags broccoli slaw mix or coleslaw mix
- Optional toppings: black sesame seeds, sriracha, sliced avocado, and/or fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut aminos, sesame oil, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, and 5-spice powder. Whisk to combine then set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Add the white and light green parts of the green onions and cook for 2–3 minutes or until the green onions start to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken to the skillet, break it up with a large wooden spoon, and cook for 5–6 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the broccoli slaw and sauce. Cook for 6–7 minutes or until the slaw is crisp-tender or cooked to your liking, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the dark green parts of the green onions, then remove from the heat.
- Serve in bowls, and garnish with sesame seeds, sriracha, sliced avocado, and/or cilantro leaves, if desired.
*to make your own Chinese 5-spice powder, in a small bowl, combine a pinch each (approx 1/16 teaspoon each) of ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground fennel seed, ground star anise, and ground black pepper
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe (2 cups)
- Calories: 299
- Fat: 16 g
- (Sat Fat: 3 g)
- Sodium: 665 mg
- Carbohydrate: 15 g
- (Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 9 g)
- Protein: 23 g