For the Pork:
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 lb. boneless pork butt (Boston butt), netting removed if wrapped
For the Rub:
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Honey-Mustard BBQ Sauce:
- ½ cup Primal Kitchen Dijon Mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (may substitute soy sauce or coconut aminos)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Fine salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional: Liquid smoke, a few drops to taste
Optional for Serving:
- Baked sweet potatoes or potatoes
- Buns (gluten-free, if needed)
- Sliced green onions
- Primal Kitchen Golden BBQ Sauce (for a convenient pre-made option, use this in place of the homemade Honey-Mustard BBQ Sauce recipe above, if desired)
- Place the sliced onion in the bottom of a slow cooker set on LOW heat.
- Pat the pork butt dry with paper towels. Set aside while you make the rub.
- In a small bowl, combine onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried thyme, salt, cumin, and black pepper to create the rub.
- Rub the spice mixture onto the surface of the pork then place the pork on top of the onions. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender and shreds easily with a fork.
- While the pork is cooking, make the barbecue sauce. In a small sauce, combine the Dijon mustard, honey, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, and smoked paprika in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. (The sauce can be made up to 5 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.)
- When the pork is done, remove the meat and onions from the slow cooker into a bowl or platter, using a slotted spoon. Shred the meat with two forks. Taste and add some of the cooking liquid and/or salt and black pepper to taste. Serve with Honey-Mustard BBQ Sauce.
For a fast and Whole30-friendly option, replace the homemade Honey-Mustard BBQ Sauce recipe with Primal Kitchen Golden Barbecue Sauce.
- Serving Size: 4 oz cooked pork + 1 ½ tablespoons sauce
- Calories: 407
- Fat: 18 g
- (Sat Fat: 7 g)
- Sodium: 648 mg
- Carbohydrate: 11 g
- (Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar: 9 g)
- Protein: 44 g
- Cholesterol: 139 mg