- ¼ cup unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets (cut into small pieces, if the florets are large)
- ⅓ cup gluten-free flour blend or all-purpose flour*
- 3 cups dairy or unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups (1 lb) frozen shredded potatoes (frozen hash browns)
- 2 cups cooked, diced ham
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Sliced green onions, chives, or fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mist a 9×13-inch (or other 3-quart) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a Dutch oven, large pot, or extra-large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the coconut oil or butter until melted.
- Add the onion and frozen broccoli florets and cook until the vegetables are softened and tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the flour, tossing to coat the ingredients, and cook 1 minute more.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the milk, ½ to 1 cup at a time, whisking after each addition. Be patient and whisk slowly as you continue adding the milk until all is added. Stir in the salt, thyme, garlic powder, and pepper. Increase the heat to medium-high and allow the mixture to come to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Add the frozen shredded potatoes, diced ham, and 1 cup of the cheese into the mixture, stirring until well incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Top with the remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn the oven broiler to High and broil the casserole for 3-5 minutes, until the topping is browned, watching carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- Garnish with sliced green onions, chives, or parsley.
For gluten-free flours, we recommend Bob’s Red Mill One-to-One Gluten-Free Baking Flour or King Arthur Measure-for-Measure Gluten-Free Flour
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 294
- Fat: 16 g
- (Sat Fat: 9 g)
- Sodium: 709 mg
- Carbohydrate: 23 g
- (Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 7 g)
- Protein: 16 g
- Cholesterol: 60 mg